Martin Lewis Money Show: MOT warning as drivers told its ‘important’ to know this new rule

Martin Lewis Money Show: MOT warning as drivers told its ‘important’ to know this new rule

07/03/2020

Martin Lewis revealed that although some drivers would need a test from August 1, many would continue to be exempt up until the end of January under the extension scheme. Speaking on the Martin Lewis Money Show he revealed a six month extension would be offered to drivers into July. 

READ MORE

  • Martin lewis offers savings advice for motorists

This would see their cover extended up until January despite mandatory tests resuming in just weeks. 

Extensions were offered to drivers from 30 March after MOT tests were suspended for safety reasons. 

However the scheme will continue for drivers into July to take the pressure away from garages as mandatory testing resumes. 

Mr Lewis said: “If it was due on July 17, you won’t have to book your check until January 17, it’s important to know the rules.”

“If your MOT falls after this date, you will need to book it straight away.

“Remember, though, your car only qualifies for the extension if it’s roadworthy. If it’s not, you must have it checked.”

The only motorists who will be due a test in August are those that were already scheduled to have a test next month. 

Drivers who were offered an exemption on 30 March will now need to pass an MOT test by no later than the 30 September. 

DON’T MISS
MOT tests: Garage experts push for further measures  [COMMENT]
MOT tests to resume for some road cars from August  [ANALYSIS]
MOT test extension may put motorists ‘at risk’ [INSIGHT]

Under the MOT suspension, certificates were automatically extended for a six month period meaning road users were still legally able to use their vehicles. 

As the certificate was still in place, road users could also renew their car tax policy and apply for car insurance cover. 

However, it is feared many motorists may forget their exemption dates which could lead to major consequences for road users.

Failure to have a valid MOT test certificate could result in motorists being fined up to £1,000.

READ MORE

  • Martin Lewis issues this vital warning to motorists

However, industry experts have backed proposals to reintroduce testing after fears the suspension may have allowed over one million dangerous cars to remain on the roads. 

Andy Randall, Managing Director of Halfords Autocentres has revealed the company has noticed a “rise” in MOT bookings over recent weeks. 

He said: “Halfords have been engaging with the DfT over recent weeks and welcome this step by government, which is extremely positive for road safety. 

“We firmly believe the MOT test is still the best way to ensure vehicles are safe to drive.

“Our research in recent weeks showed 45 of motorists were concerned about the condition of other vehicles yet only two percent felt there might be an issue with their own, indicating a worrying false sense of security may have been taking hold for many drivers.”

Comparison site BookMyGarage.com haield the ending of the extension as a victory for road safety and the UK economy. 

The site has previously revealed 1.4mllion cars had failed their MOT’s with dangerous faults between April and September 2019 highlighting the possible danger on UK roads with no testing. 

Co-founder Karen Rotberg urged drivers who wanted an exam to “book tests quickly” as backlogs would see a sharp rise in demand. 

She added: “It’s the right decision and a victory for both road safety and the economy. 

“Many independent garages have been operational throughout, and since June 1, franchised workshops have been open again so there was no good reason for the extension to continue.”

Source: Read Full Article