Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)07/03/2020
Click here to read the discussion.
In India, the Skoda Octavia was launched in 2002 and was an instant hit due to its frugal diesel, solid build quality & European road manners…even though one of its Mumbai workshops got its electricity from a generator! The 2nd generation Octavia came later and because Skoda wanted to sell both gens simultaneously, the new car was amusingly named “Laura”. This 3rd-gen Octavia arrived in 2013 and got a facelift in 2017. The 4th-gen replacement was expected to go on sale by now (internationally), but has been pushed down due the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
The fast vRS versions have a crazy fan following, and for good reason too.
• Classic European styling & build. Premium quality inside out
• Amazing VFM in the used market. It’s the best entry point into the “German luxury car” world
• Wide engine range: Adequate 1.4L TSI, all-rounded 2.0L diesel, fast 1.8L TSI and explosive 2.0L TSI
• Smooth, high-tech DSG automatics. Lightning quick upshifts
• Cabin has adequate space for the family. Cavernous 590 liter boot as well for those road-trips
• Loaded with features (panoramic sunroof, electric seats with memory, bi-xenon lights etc.)
• 5 star NCAP rating. Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP, EDL and more
• vRS is deadly! If you find a pre-worshipped one, beg / borrow / steal to bring her home
• 2.0L diesel & 1.4L petrol get an inferior (torsion beam) rear suspension. Yes, it makes a difference
• Long-term reliability can get patchy. Parts are expensive
• 1.8L petrol’s DSG is destined to fail. It will leave you stranded & with a fat repair bill
• No MT option on the 1.8 TSI or the vRS for purists
• 1.4L TSI is mediocre. We would avoid this engine altogether
• Early cars have niceties missing (paddle shifters, smart keyless entry & go, alloy wheel spare)
• Unusually tall floor hump makes things uncomfortable for the 5th occupant
• Skoda’s ill-famed after sales service & dealer network. You better have a good independent mechanic
• Official Review, Facelift Review and vRS Review
• joethomasv’s Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG
• Nikhilb2008’s Octavia vRS
• sivadas’ red vRS
• krishnadevjs’ 1.8 TSI L&K
• abhinav.gupta88’s 2014 Octavia
• adi_petrolhead’s 125,000 km 1.8 TSI Elegance
Stupendously good! Right from VAG’s modular parts to insane performance mods, the Octavia can have it all. The only restriction will be the size of your wallet & time.
Excellent, because the Octavia is a very popular model in India selling ~200 cars / month. Ample choice of cars as well as engine / gearbox variants.
Here are some examples on sale – 2015 65,000 km 1.4 TSI, 2015 61,750 km 2.0 TDI AT, 2016 76,543 km 2.0 TDI, 2017 45,000 km 1.8 TSI AT, 2017 15,000 km 2.0 TSI.
Included are the pictures of the 2017, 45,000 km done Octavia 1.8 TSI with an asking price of Rs. 11.40 lakh. This is a relatively new, FAST luxury car for Maruti Dzire ZXI+ AMT money. If you want something more practical & reliable, strongly consider the 2.0 diesel variants:
Source: Read Full Article